If you haven’t looked at HubSpot’s 2018 Marketing Statistics, Trends & Data – The Ultimate List of Digital Marketing Stats, you should make it today’s read. It is a treasure trove of statistical tidbits from hundreds of sources on all aspects of content marketing, social, media, email marketing, SEO, and much more.
When it comes to non-video visual content – photos, drawings, charts, infographics – the numbers are quite revealing and go past the old adage “a picture is worth a thousand words”. (And if you need help finding free images, here are 4 sites for copyright and royalty-free images!)
From the HubSpot Report:
- Visual content is 40X more likely to get shared on social media than other types of content. (Buffer, 2014)
- Articles with an image once every 75-100 words got double the number of social shares than articles with fewer images. (Buzzsumo, 2015)
- 71% of online marketers use visual assets in their social media marketing. (Social Media Examiner, 2015)
- Researchers found that colored visuals increase people’s willingness to read a piece of content by 80%. (Xerox, 2014) Research has shown that when people hear information, they are likely to remember only 10% of that information three days later. However, if a relevant image is paired with that same information, people retained 65% of the information three days later. (LifeLearn, 2015)
- Infographics are liked and shared on social media 3X more than any other type of content. (Mass Planner, 2015)